Pumpkin Rice with Sweet and Spicy Chicken
1 lbs of Butternut Squash (you can use Acorn Squash or Carnival Squash)
2 cups of rice
5 1/2 cups of water
1 tablespoon of butter
1/4 cup of oil
1/4 cup of cilantro (optional)
- Using a veggie peeler remove the skin off the pumpkin, the pit (remove the seeds) using a spoon.
- Discard the pit and seeds and cut into cubes. This makes cooking quicker.
- Add cut cubes to 3 1/2 cups boiling water and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Allow to cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Using a fork, prick the pumpkin to make sure it's soft and tender (Like a potato).
- Strain and remove water. Reserve half and set aside. With the half mesh with potato masher or puree squash in blender/ magic bullet.
- Add, Squash puree, 3 cups of water, 2 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 3 tablespoons of oil on medium heat into a sauce pan and stir. This will give the rice it's yellow/mustard color.
- Once water comes to a boils add in rice, then stir.
- When the water evaporates add in 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil. Stir and stir.
- Reduce heat and cover for 15-20 mins. After 20 minutes reduce heat to low.
- Once the the rice is cooked, fluff in reserved squash and chopped cilantro leaves with a fork.