Monday, September 19, 2011

La bouye Farin/ White Flour Porridge




Picture taken fron wheatfoods.org

Do not let the name of the porridge throw you off. This is one of my favorite porridge dishes of all time. The first time I had this, I was in Haiti and my aunt made it for me right before I went to bed. Needless to say, I asked her to make it for me every night until I left the country. It's creamy, sweet and delicious. You gotta try it.

 INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup of white flour
2 cinnamon sticks
1 anise star
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla (the clear one)
1 can of carnation condensed milk (1/2 can of coconut milk & 1/2 can of carnation milk)
4 cups of water
1/2 cup of sugar (or to taste)


NOTE: This recipe calls for a smooth creamy texture and no lumps. BE PREPARED TO STIR.

Step 1. Toast the flour.

Using a meduim sized frying pan, pour the flour onto the hot pan and stir the flour. It cooks really quickly. It's key NOT to burn the flour. If the flour changes color you cooked it too long. It should stay white and a little grainy, but if you don't feel like starting over you can still use it. To know when it's done you should begin to smell the flour. Be sure to remove from stove, sift over a meduim sized bowl filled with 1 cup of water. Mix together and be sure to smooth out any lumps.

Step 2. Making the porridge

 Add  the 3 cups of water to meduim sized saucepan and add cinnamon sticks and anise. Allow water to come to boil. For best results, allow water to boil until you can smell the cinnamon but do not allow the color of the water to turn brown.

Once the water comes to a boil very slowing pour in the flour and water mixture while stirring with a wooden spoon. Do it in increment if necessary. The key here is to avoid lumps. Take your time here. 

Turn down the temperature just a little and allow mixture to thicken. Add in milk slowly, stir and stir. Add in sugar and lastly the vanilla, all while stirring. Allow porridge to cook for a few minutes.

Step 3. Eating time.

The camera is not reflecting the right color, but you get the idea. 


Check, stir then plate. You can serve cold or hot. But it's best served with toasted bread spread with peanut butter.

End result should be a white creamy, sweet and thick consistency.



          

20 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I have mentioned it to all Haitian and non-Haitian friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just discovered this site and i love this recipe, but can you make la bouye banane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Barbara, I love your site. My mother is from Haiti I'm always checking out other sites looking for new ways to cook foods that I already know or even adding new recipes.
    @sweetdalce, La Bouye banane is made pretty much the same way, except no flour and no water. 1 green plantain, 1 ripe banana, can of coconut milk and a can of carnation milk. Place these items in the blender until smooth. Add mixture to pan on stove. Add Cinnamon, anise, vanilla, nutmeg if you like it, I also use about a 1/3 c sugar. I like to use raw sugar. Cook on stove until thick. My daughter has food allergies, so instead of using carnation milk, I use rice milk and it is still delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello what is a anise star?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will try this once I run out of Holiday leftovers. It looks interesting. I found this page because I watched a movie where the Mormons were starving and down to flour and water for sustenance. I was curious about eating flour and water because all I remember about just flour and water was using it as paste in grade school.

    I see you have a red beans and rice recipe. Having been raised in Texas, I grew up on red beans and rice. I will have to see how our recipes compare. I am sure yours will be quite tasty.

    Anyway, thank you for sharing a delightful and interesting part of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes what is anise star

    ReplyDelete